Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Kim and I (Part 3)

There was a fellow Singaporean who is also a Kim fan in Hong Kong. We contacted each other and went on a mission to try to take a photo with Kim. Dementieva and Vaidisova were fighting it out on court but we didn’t care. We stationed ourselves outside the stadium and waited patiently for Kim to walk to the player’s lounge after watching the match for a while.

But to my horror, I saw a familiar figure walking into the lounge as we came out. “KIM!” I shouted to my friend. We were too late! Kim had already entered the lounge. Crestfallen, we craned our necks and hoped to catch Kim’s attention so that she can come back out. Just ten, a familiar looking man than walked past the gates next to us. It was Leo Clijsters, Kim’s father! He must have noticed our desperate looks as he went in and told Kim about us. Kim turned around and no questions asked, posed for the photos. I will never forget this moment and I am eternally grateful to Leo for his help. He’s definitely up there in the skies now.  


"Attack of the giant chin! RUN KIM!"

Zheng Jie was the next one we saw. Being Chinese, I asked for her autograph in Chinese and took a photo with her (as practice so that my friend would know how to operate when Kim walks in). Zheng was very polite and petite and waited patiently as my friend fumbled with the camera. (See? It wasn’t that easy!) Kuznetsova walked past us next. She was listening to her earphones and we didn’t dare to disturb her. Shortly after, we saw a young Caroline Wozniacki finishing her practice and exiting to the player’s lounge. Bored, we asked her for her autograph. She was surprised that anyone wanted her autograph and even asked if we wanted her hitting partner’s one as well. It was getting late and there was still no sight of Kim. We saw Patty Schnyder hitting the courts for a practice and when she was leaving, a group of fans crowded around her. We joined in and Patty was so friendly, as she put her hands over my shoulder as if we were best buddies when taking the photo!


"Best buddies!"

Kim went on to win the tournament, capping off a marvelous week. “I can die a happy man now”, I thought to myself. Sadly, Kim’s form didn’t carry on as she didn’t continue past the clay court season, winding up her career after a freak loss to Julia Vakulenko. I thought that it was quite an anti-climatic ending and it’s sad that Kim lost her passion for competing. Then I found out why. Leo Clijsters had been diagnosed with cancer and Kim wanted to spend as much time as she can with her dying father. That’s when I realized victories and glory can never replace your loved ones once they are gone. And Kim knew that.


"Smile Kim!"

No comments:

Post a Comment